I was speaking to my mom on the phone this morning and said the phrase "I have to go now if we're going to make it before the shop shuts." Is that a British thing to say? I don't even know anymore. What would we say in the US? "I have to go now if we're going to make it before the place is closed"? Before the store closes? Shop. Shuts. Cannot compute.
There must be other things I say that are similarly British. My contact with pureblood Americans is down roughly 89 percent this year. I am in an immersion situation a majority of the time. The point of this post is to say that I'm past the point where I realize I'm doing it, so please don't think I'm being pretentious.
This is what a British person might say:
Cheers for the fag old bean, I've got to pop round the shop before ringing mum; will you be having your tea at mine this evening?
Translation:
Thanks for the cigarette big guy, I gotta run to the store before calling ma; you wanna have dinner at my place tonight?
... Ok, maybe they don't always say old bean but a girl can dream.