This time, it's for good. I'm coming home. I am sitting here in Nancy's flat reveling in a moment that is so poignant and so perfectly cyclical that I wish I had the time or the energy to write a proper FINAL post, but the last few days have been such a crush of to-do's and goodbye's that I feel like I am running down a tight-rope to the end.
Tonight I said goodbye to everyone at Bonhams (there, I used the company name since I am no longer in their employ -- google me, I dare you!) and packed up the last few things in my flat. I went back upstairs to do a final sweep as the taxi idled outside on the cobblestones, and I couldn't help but feel such a terrific surge of excitement as I looked around at the empty tabletops. Let's go! Let's do this!
The thing is, I've had some really great news in the last few days. I found out I am eligible to continue on past my masters to pursue a PhD. What's more, I can do it from the States with the help of a department I have come to know and love. I'll have the freedom to pursue my topic on my own terms, and in my own time. I have so many happy little pots bubbling away on the fire of my enthusiasm.
For now, I'm just happy to spend these last few hours with Nancy and The Hound, doing what I have loved most about Scotland -- spending time with good friends. For my dear friends here: I have loved you with a fierceness that can only come at the intersection of so many divergent paths. I never anticipated living here, or meeting you, but now that I have I know that I wouldn't want it any other way. I love you. And for my family and friends at home: Get ready. Let's do this.
Love,
Lauren