Thursday, June 21, 2007

Excitement Abounds

Next weekend (June 29th), I am headed down to London with Nancy, my new friend at work, for the British Army ball. It is "fancy dress" which of course means costumes and not formal wear. I was famously confused by this term when I first arrived in the UK; think Elle Woods showing up in the playboy bunny outfit, only reversed... Anyways, the ball is at the Kensington Barracks and I'm going to go as the Elephant and Castle tube stop OR Scarlett Johanssen from Match Point. What do you reckon?

THEN on Monday I'm going with David to a big, swanky auction house event. It's a book launch and lecture about cabinetmaking, followed by champagne, and I will probably choke on a canape and/or fall down a flight of stairs. I'm hoping to, as they say, "network," and feel out the London auction scene.

I will probably sweat through my dress.

Other news:
I'm being sent around the country on research excursions for upcoming sales. Yesterday I went to the national archives in Glasgow, and next week I'm off to Perthshire to see about some sculpture. Everything is terribly exciting.

Avery is coming to visit tomorrow from France! She's been at cooking school and I expect those skills to be put to proper use.

I'm incredibly, unforgivably busy, and for those of you who haven't heard from me in a while please know that I will see you on the other side. I think about you often. love.