Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Wizards and Trampolinists

I worked with the associate director yesterday picking out "star lots" for the upcoming sale and making profiles for them to go on the internet. I basically scrolled through the catalog and picked out the items I would most like to own. It was like shopping without consequences. The A.D. is a Welsh trampolinist; and a two time world champ to boot. Now he is a ceramics specialist and likes to wear colourful waistcoats. Needless to say, he is fabulous.

I've been researching and writing footnotes for the Scottish catalog for the last month or so. It's pretty fascinating work, especially since most of the time my boss says "here is a cabinet - go." It's like CSI but with less stray carpet fibers and more cabriole legs.

I'll admit it, I cracked and bought the last Harry Potter book. I'm 90 pages in and I'm starting to feel a little too old for it. I adored Harry Potter... when I was thirteen. I can't believe that's when I started reading these books. Well, regardless, I want to see how it ends because I generally like to see things through. I used to love how JK Rowling described Dumbledore walking down a hall, she always said that he "swept." I realize that makes me sound simple, but there it is. Anyways, so [spoiler alert] Dumbledore is dead and there are no more sweeping wizards and I'm sort of hung up on the fact that Harry is 17 and would probably rather be chasing girls and smoking cigarettes behind the gym than defeating Death Eaters and tracking down Voldemort's horocruxes. So, the whole point of this is to say please don't email me and spoil the ending. ("OMG, HARRY LIKE TOTALLY DIES!")

The railway is closed between Cupar and Edinburgh this week, and it now takes me 2 1/2 hours one way to commute by bus. I tend to get motion sick on buses so reading a little HP is out of the question. Country living: rustic and rewarding or a pain in the *%@?