Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Gavel Gavel Gavel

There was some "reshuffling" at the auction house last week. The good news is I survived the midnight purge from overseas and -- hooray! -- found out today that they are offering me a better job upon my return. I will be working in the valuations department which is a plum opportunity to get real hands-on experience with clients and appraisals. BAM!

As much as the people at work love to poke fun at me for being the Enthusiastic American, I can't help but think this is all one big joke. I'll come back and they'll be wearing American flags like capes (true story) and saying things like "why don't you just have a YAARD SAAALE" in their best nasal-y American accents.

[You see, British people would never dream of putting their possessions out in front of their homes and selling them off, so the concept of a yard sale is high comedy for a group of professionals who make a living selling other people's things for them. Yard sales are thus totally taboo and outrageously American. So, naturally, it is something I suffer for.]

That reminds me, I heard there was a killer yard sale over in Hendersonville today. I think I'll go check it out. They make fun of us for our ways, but at least I don't have to pay a 40 percent tax to the Crown on a box of used records I buy from someone's driveway... so who's laughing now United Kingdom?!
(Fran and I are laughing, that's who)