Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Lay Your Head On My Star-Spangled Shoulder

I am just a few hours away from hopping on a plane bound for the States and the excitement is palpable. It's been a rather USA themed-day. Kenneth and I had burgers for lunch at the new Gourmet Burger Kitchen on George Street; I may or may not have sung God Bless America on the bus; and now I'm cleaning up the flat in my new favorite t-shirt (pictured above) -- a birthday gift from the irreplaceable Bridget 'B-Force' Mohan.

I have a marathon journey tomorrow. If you were flying from Scotland to South Carolina would you go through Germany? Well, Orbitz does. I have a six hour layover in Frankfurt. The only German I know is "Albrecht Durer" and "Die Zauberflote," which means I'll be fine if the man at the information desk is a fan of apocalyptic woodcuts or late 18th century Singspiels.

If all goes according to plan I will be landing in Charleston, SC tomorrow evening around 7 o'clock. If that doesn't work out, I'll be the one in the I'm famous in Asheville, NC shirt wandering around Frankfurt muttering Pa-Pa-Pa-Pa-Papageno under my breath.

Merry Christmas dear Scottish ones; see you in 2008!