Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Another Dispatch from the Chronicles of George Street

(I like this one best because it makes me look like I have a glass eye)


How many jaunty hats can you find in one office building?
I'll tell you: thousands.

My company is moving offices! The lease ended on our posh George Street building, so we are packing up and moving around the corner to Queen Street. The upheaval has been enormous. The sheer logistics of shifting our operation a few hundred yards has put most of our specialists over the edge. Normal activity was on hold for the last week as everyone sifted through approximately 20 years worth of garbage. We deal with a lot of deceased estates -- situations where we swoop in and clean out the contents of entire houses and auction it off -- so that means a lot of worthless junk tends to accumulate in the building.

We had a pretty good time going through the contents of the fifth floor today. Included in the treasure was a ship's wheel, a stuffed squirrel, a trunk full of sequined capes, and a large box containing a selection of styrofoam heads:

I'm sad to leave our old building. I will always remember walking through the front door on my first day, right in the middle of the Monday morning meeting, and how everyone turned around and stared at me. I will miss our spectacular view of the Firth. I will miss picnic lunches with Nancy on the fifth floor with views of the Castle and Arthur's seat, and knowing it is time to go back to work when I hear the 1 o'clock gun. I will miss the communal fourth floor office: Bruce's singing, Charles sprinting back and forth to the printer, Kenneth giving me gum... The new building is very nice and looks over Queen Street Gardens, but George Street will always be my first love. The new offices are divided into departments. Charles will be in the Valuations office with me. I hope we have a printer.