Monday, February 18, 2008

If you leave me feedback, I'll leave you yours

I was chatting with a lopsided fellow at an impossibly chic dinner party over the weekend (ok, we were just eating chips and dip) and the inevitable question arose: So, what do you do?

As someone who is currently pursuing a masters degree in what can only be called The History of Chairs, I dread this conversation. Usually I say I work in an auction house, which is true, and if the person needs more details I compare it to Antiques Roadshow: "you know that show on PBS where people bring in their old stuff? And people look at it? And tell you how much it's worth? And it's great to watch when you want to take a nap?"

This guy, however, was way ahead of me. "OH, like Ebay!" he exclaimed. I stared at him. He went on: "That's cool. I love ebay. Wait! Do you have a Buy It Now option?" And then he poked me on the shoulder and said "click, click." He said it really slowly, too; making it infinitely creepier. It was like this:

click .................................... click (smug laughter)

I crossed my arms, exhaled, and turned my body away in the international sign of Get The H Away From Me, and eventually he squirmed off. I was re-living the encounter today (incidentally, while trading on ebay) and realized that if what I did at work was anything like ebay, my performance review would have read something like this:

GREAT EMLPOYEE!!!! WOULD BUY AGIN!!! A++++ MANY THX!!!