Sunday, April 13, 2008

My Steady's in the Nay-aye-Vee

I believe it was T.S. Eliot who called April the "cruelest month" *

Well, he be trippin.

So far, April has been pretty hilarious. I traveled all the way to Newport, Rhode Island to watch Scott get Naval officer-ed. It was a rigid affair punctuated by big brass, finger foods, and perfect posture. I successfully tamed the urge to holler out inappropriately during the ceremony (something along the lines of "WAY TO GO BABY! WAY TO GO! IN YOUR FACE, NAVY!") and the whole affair went off without a hitch. As for the rest of the weekend, we had many excellent meals at many fine dining establishments, and even played darts in the back room of a dimly-lit pub without losing any eyes. Newport for the win!

Navy Officer-ing is serious, serious business.

Now that-- THAT-- is a big flag. (First salute).

Me and the ladies of Officer Families at Thursday's reception. Represent.


Well done 08-08.

After the weekend's shenanigans we found ourselves at a crossroads: continue to march along quiet as church mice, or run wild into the stratosphere?

Clearly, the latter.

Next post: To Scotland!

--------------------------------------------------
* I quote T.S Eliot almost exclusively on this blog. Like, what is THAT about? Well, I used to have this ratty old copy of his portable works stashed in the closet at my dad's house. I read it almost every night I was over there from age 10 until, well, now. It was that or Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret. I know, tough call.