On the subject of things I will miss: British junk food! There some things (Marmite, for example) that I have spent the last two years strenuously avoiding, and even though Britain gets a bad rap for having some of the worst cuisine in the world, they sure know how to make a bangin' chocolate biscuit.
I suppose it's not limited to junk food. When my ex-hallmate Kvetchka went back to Russia, she stuck a whole pineapple in her suitcase. British fruits and vegetables are, on the whole, cheap and delicious. Someone told me recently that produce in the US has to travel too far by truck, and that is why our economy is in the toilet and Heidi Montag was recently called a "feminist hero" by the New York Times (further signs of the apocalypse include the Aliza Shvarts controversy and Bush's appearance on Deal or No Deal) . Most of my veg is flown overnight from Spain and Morocco by the fine folks at Tesco. Some people say Tesco is destroying the UK, but I say crisp African beans for all!
While we're on the subject of crispness: I'm fairly certain that Britain makes some of the greatest breakfast cereals on earth. I recently bought some kind of gravelly maple-pecan-oat masterpiece that turns your milk into liquid gold. US cereals are the manufactured boy band of breakfast food next to these hearty concoctions.
In Mexico, Canada, and the EU, Coca Cola is sweetened with sugarcane. In the United States, with corn syrup. Drinking a British Coca Cola Light is like swimming in an infinity pool of deliciousness somewhere on the Mediterranean shore. Words cannot describe a plain Coke. Wait: how about "Pleasure Teat"?
The availability of Thai and Indian food items rivals the countries themselves. I spent the whole month of February licking chicken tikka straight out of my frying pan. It is just that good.
Other British brands I will miss include Soap and Glory bath products. They make this pink sugar delight aptly called 'The Scrub of Your Life' -- and it so, so is. The packaging is sassy and well written, with names like 'The Clean of England' and 'The Righteous Butter'. Their products are tested by "three dirty rotten scoundrels south of the Thames." Who doesn't love a good pun? It's like monty python for your shower. I'm smuggling a few items back in my suitcase (one for you, Jamie).
Ten days! I can't believe it. I've been packing a little bit every night in the hopes that I can just slip my keys through the letterbox and hop in a taxi on the 10th. My latest coup includes finding a low cost shipping company that will deliver my rococo mirror to Charleston. I was going to be very sad to leave that behind. Seriously, ten days?