Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Boozeday Tuesday

Tuesday in St. Andrews is called Boozeday. Wednesday is a university-sanctioned free day (so the athletic clubs can travel about and play matches), and pretty much everybody goes out on Tuesday night. Alice, Emily, Meghan, and I joined the throngs yesterday evening for a "quiet bev" at the Lizard... and as it goes, we found ourselves at Tesco around midnight buying danishes and flapjack. In related news, we have changed Boozeday Tuesday to Tesco Tuesday and vowed to go to the gym at least three times this week.

I had a great day today. I joined the Breakaway Club (see the website here) and signed up for the trip to Glen Lyon on Sunday. Everyone I met at the meeting was warm and enthusiastic, and I can't wait to get back out in the highlands, so I'm excited about the trip this weekend. Hurrah! The Great Outdoors!

Alice [pictured above] and I hopped in her car this afternoon and scooted across the Tay bridge to Dundee for the afternoon. We spent some time trying on piles of beautiful things at Zara and Topshop (mmm, pilgrimmage) and had an enormous dinner of pizza and salad in the town square. We had the best time dancing in the car on the way back and laughing when we both got chills at the first glimpse of St. Andrews. I wish I could box her up and bring her back to North Carolina for a day or two, because you would all think she is the absolute tip tops. A typical Alice voicemail goes something like this: "Hiiiiiii lovey! I want all the goss! -- something totally unintelligible-- OK See you in a min' byyyeeee! Loads of love!" and then she drives up to my dorm at approximately 250 miles per hour and we tear off, blasting Ludacris and scattering pedestrians and golfers in our wake.

Anyways, word is slowly leaking out about the job I'm considering applying for (part time curator at the nearby Folk Museum) so I'm just going to mention it here and let you know that I'll keep you posted. The application isn't due until October 30th, so I have a few more days to get things together before I turn it in. They are asking for people with postgraduate degrees, so I'm pretty confident I won't get it, but I think it is worth going through the process just for the experience. Right? Right. Well, cross your fingers anyways.

OH -- guess who gets to see the Avett Brothers on New Years eve? Yeah, this girl. Holla.

Love and miss, darlings. And don't eat a whole box of danishes, even if you didn't have dinner and everyone else is doing it. You will have to be rolled back to your room and hate yourself for at least a day. And that's the truth.