Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Should I be concerned that the locals are wearing shorts?

Meghan and I went to Edinburgh this weekend to celebrate her birthday and get out of the St. Andrews bubble for a while. I've spent quite a bit of time in Edinburgh over the last two years or so, and it was nice to come to a place I have a working (albeit rustly) knowledge of. We did some shopping in New Town along Princes Street, walked the royal mile in Old Town, and had afternoon tea (twice!) in various tea rooms around town. Meghan hopped back on the bus home on Saturday evening and I walked back across town to see my Aussie loves at 11 Bread Street!!

Nige and Jo (pictured below devouring Edinburgher kebabs) are basically the most amazing friends of all time. They just got back from three months of travelling through all the places you would never think to go: Slovenia, Croatia, Romania, Turkey, Iran, and Morrocco.



I got to their flat around 6 and spent the next three hours laughing at all of their ridiculous travel stories. They rode camels in the desert, ran with the bulls in Pamplona, and went to a Pearl Jam concert in Croatia... basically, they are the type of people I would be if I had the ability to work ten months of a crap job for "three months of glory" (as Nige called it). I love, love, love hanging out with them whenever I get the chance, and this weekend was no exception. Oh, I guess I should mention that Alissa and Josh were there too and they are pretty fabulous as well.

Anyways, we went out around ten and managed to go to the two cheesiest clubs in all of Europe: Faith and Espionage. Espionage, as many of you know, is pretty much my lucky club (of Scottish volleyball team fame!) so we went there to see if that was still the case. Turns out NO so we hopped around for a while until 4 when we couldn't... go... any... further and came back home to crash.

We woke up on Sunday morning and watched BBC2 for a while before going to the Castle Arms for lunch. I hopped back on the train around 4 and got back in St. Andrews in plenty of time for dinner and homework! What a life it is to live this close to Edinburgh. Fabulous.