
On Friday night I went on a night hike through the jungles of Fife with the indefatigable Casey Hull and a merry bunch of Breakaway-ers. We took a late night bus to Strathkinness, a village about 7 miles due West of St. Andrews, and wound our way back to town through moonlit pastures, spooky woods, and the hallowed ground of the old course (ssshh). The weather was perfect: crisp and quiet. The stars were out. How picturesque! you might be saying to yourself. And it was!
Dramatic? Yes.
Serene? Not quite.
Well, it was dark. And slippery. I fell down a lot.
Casey took about 50 pictures during the hike and most of them are of me in various stages of falling down.
Here I am falling over a log:

... careening over a rock wall:

... stumbling over a dead body:

... holding on to something upright and praying for daylight:

... embracing my fate and doing a preemptive lean:

I will close with a group shot of almost total blackness. We're lined up on the bridge to a castle. I'm the one with my arm stuck out like a dumb American. It was spooky, y'all! Breakaway says Happy Halloween!