Wednesday, November 08, 2006

The Birthday Heard 'Round The World (and midterm elections too)

Before I write about little ol' me I'd like to take a moment and REJOICE in the defeat of Charles Taylor as Representative for North Carolina's 11th District. If you aren't from my corner of North Carolina you can read about the upset here. Praise BE -- and please note the use of words like "rugged" and "mountainous" to describe where I'm from. Hilarious. Way to go, USA Today.

Also: three cheers for a democratic congress! I don't want to wax too political but suffice it to say that I am most pleased. At last. Now when people look at me across dinner tables in Scotland and snarl "well, you voted in a leader like Bush" I have a modicum of ground to stand on.

And I did my part. I voted.

Now let's see some greater emphasis on trade policy and human rights! Let's see some reassessment of the war in Iraq! Let's vote HILLARY in 2008! (...too far? Sorry Coles)

Now I'm all riled up, and talking about my birthday seems a little self-centered in the grand scheme of The State of Things... but I had a really great birthday and I think it is worth mentioning.

I woke up on my halloween birthday the same way I do every year, only this time I was in a cell block in Andrew Melville Hall on the East coast of Scotland and it was stupid, stupid cold outside. I didn't have Franklin Street or Pauper's fall show to look forward to (or stress about) and I didn't have my mom to make me cream-cheese eggs. Instead, I donned my backpack and headed for the bus station in the dark. Destination? London!

Getting to the Edinuburgh airport from St. Andrews takes some doing. I spent the first three hours of my birthday in anonymous train and bus travel, avoiding direct eye-contact and musing over what would happen if I leaned over to the guy next to me and whispered "you know, it's my birthday today." Unfortunately he was reading a Dan Brown book and I ultimately decided that I didn't want my first birthday wishes to come from a godless pagan.

I got to the Edinburgh airport in plenty of time to check in for my flight AND make a quick trip to Accessorize -- my second favorite British store after Topshop. Accessorize is basically like Claire's on steroids and I could spend hours just looking at the bangles and matching them up with tweed newsboy caps. It's like an aesthetic all-you-can-eat buffet and I'm the gluttenous American who brought her own fork.

My flight to London was pretty uneventful unless you count -- not one -- but two screaming babies as events. I love easyjet because (besides being cheap as dirt), they always have you walking across the tarmac and boarding your jet via those big rolling stairs. I tend to get a little bit excited when I get to do that -- the roar of the engines and the wind whipping all around you is very dramatic. I like to imagine I'm flying to Tanzania or Namibia to save orphans instead of hopping down to London to drink a lot because I'm a year older. But, you know, I guess that's kind of noble in its own way.

I got into London around 6 and took the train to Clapham Junction to meet my old high school friend Marcus. Some backstory on Marcus, since everyone keeps asking (you are quite the celebrity amongst Northup circles, buddy): he was the English Speaking Union scholar at Asheville School for my senior year. He had effectively already finished high school back in England, but came over to Asheville on scholarship for his gap year before going to university. Why? Well, cultural enrichment I guess. He mostly learned about American football, inane and overly-wealthy Southerners, and the glory of soft-batch chips ahoy cookies. We had some good times back in 2003. Let's flash back with a photo:

(We were so YOUNG! I should also note that Marcus
no longer has the faux-hawk and I miss it. A lot.)

I see Marcus more than I see most people from high school, which is odd because he lives in England and until a few months ago I lived in Chapel Hill, but I am glad that our lives have crossed so many times, because he is a really great guy and an amazing friend. He also breakdances: a fact that doesn't say much about his character but I think is worth mentioning.

I got to his new flat in Battersea around 7 to find him in the kitchen cooking me (and sister Amy and flatmates Doug, Matias, and Sam) DINNER -- which was amazing -- and after dinner he came around the corner with the most perfect little birthday cake with candles. It was basically the most amazing, unexpected birthday celebration ever, and I will love Marcus forever for making it so special when he didn't have to. He even bought me special beer from oddbins: Grapefruit and Heather Ale. Arrrr.

After dinner and some extensive debate, we decided to take the bus to Tottenham Court road to meet up with the UNC kids who are studying in London (among them Gabriella Miyares, linked to the right) for a little flat party. We danced, drank, and chatted our way into the evening. I had some of the flat worst pictures of me ever taken posted on facebook, but here is a slightly better selection:

On the way out: (l-r) Marcus, Doug, Me, Matias, and Rupert


Doug and Ike at Tottenham Court


Sketchy Gabriella and the big 2-1

Waiting for the bus around 3 am... HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

The next day Marcus and I had a great time walking around the city. We did funny walks in Hyde Park, made a pilgrimmage to the Oxford St TopShop (the mothership), and discovered what may be the best ramen restaurant in all of London proper. It was such a good day.

Anyways, I'm in the depths of paper-writing for my Jane Austen class, so I will end there. Hope everyone had an amazing Halloween. Love and miss you.