Yesterday was the first of many moving days for THE NEW FLAT. The extraordinary Caleb Calhoun helped me schlep a giant load of clothes up the hill from Andrew Melville and we laughed the whole way.
The flat is gorgeous, if wanting for closet space, and we spent the first twenty minutes sitting at the kitchen table in disbelief. Caleb pretty much summed it up when he said "I feel like we are guests and we're just sitting here waiting for the real owners to come home."
The flat is funny... there are all these switches you have to turn on if you want hot water, heat, fans, etc. It's a completely different way of living from what I'm used to, and everything seems to be geared towards energy efficiency. So far I find that it works out well, especially for one person, and the giant refridgerators and central heating of yore seem archaic and [dare I say it] wasteful.
There are two tv's though, which is kind of weird... especially when I only get one channel and all that plays on it is that one Nicholas Cage movie where he's in Vegas with Sarah Jessica Parker. Over and over again.
The kitchen is crammed with cutlery, dishes, and all kinds of pots and pans, and as it goes I felt moved to cook a big ol' dinner and invite my friends over. So, we had a little impromptu flat warming last night and it was wonderful; Laurie even made me a sweet flatwarming cd aptly called 'Flatalicious.'
I have the place to myself until February when Jamie gets here, so I did what anyone would do and pushed the two beds together to make THE WORLD'S LARGEST BED. I did some snow-angels last night before drifting off to sleep and it was glorious.
My internet access will be limited for the next two weeks or so until I can get broadband set up in the flat. Apparently it's difficult to get internet so I'm hoping I can steal wireless from the neighbors [ssssh, don't tell].
London next weekend, then two weeks of class, and then I'm home for Christmas. WHERE HAS THE TIME GONE?
love xx