Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Americanisms

Saying "have a good day" to an elderly Scottish gentleman is not the way forward. This morning after finishing a rather lengthy, slightly confusing conversation with one of the museum's elderly volunteers I attempted to beg off with an enthusiastic "have a good day!" only to be met with a quizzical stare and stamp of his cane. After some time he snorted and said "well, of course, why should I not?"

Oh me.

I have my first Trust meeting this evening where I have to give a presentation on my work for the last five days. Going over what I've done is mildly rewarding; it seems I've accomplished a lot more than I thought, especially in the way of IT. I got some surprise words of praise from our chairman Marion the morning, so I'm feeling a lot better about the meeting. I have to travel to Kirkcaldy tomorrow morning for the annual meeting of Fife curators. I am looking forward to the train journey and the opportunity to meet other curators in the area, especially those from the National Galleries and the Scottish Fisheries Museum. There is talk of a joint exhibit on transportation!

I feel like I should change the name of my blog to 'Lauren Does the FFM' -- so much do I rattle on about the museum -- but I can assure you I've been up to the usual pub-crawling and hill-walking (not necessarily in that order). I've got some great photos from the last few days which I will post tonight.

Back to work -- HAVE A GOOD DAY!