Sunday, April 08, 2007

For the Fam

... and anyone else who is feeling particularly voyeuristic.


Here I am looking saucy in my St Andrews gown on Easter Sunday. I call it a cape because that makes me more of a wizard and less of a drag queen. The gowns were traditionally worn to lectures, meals, and practically everything else, but these days they are worn primarily at church. Both photos were taken in the garden in front of our flat which is fondly called "the cabbage patch" because during World War II it was used to grow a victory garden. Now it is used by the neighbours as a place to walk their dogs; they are fans of leaving the droppings on the path for yours truly to step in on her way to class.

[Also: can we have a minute for the lovely weather? Let us rejoice and be glad in it!]

There was some consternation over a previous post where I called London "old hat." I will amend that and say that Marcus and I had lunch at a place called The Stockpot on Oxford Street and it was incredible. If you know me you know how I feel about food; especially food that has been simmered for long periods of time with other kinds of food in a typically down-home Southern kind of way.... so needless to say I gamed on some Stockpot food. They had one of the most comprehensive menus I have ever seen in a British restaurant: fajitas, lasagna, burgers, and even apple pie a la mode. I ate Marcus under the table and I am not ashamed.

Speaking of Marcus: he called earlier to wish me a happy easter, at which point I asked him if he got a good basket. He said "WOT?" and I said "you know, an easter basket. From the easter bunny." Turns out they don't have that tradition here. They just get eggs. I asked Jamie if she got easter baskets growing up and she said yes, absolutely... So what gives? I would also like to go on record saying today, this easter of my 21st year on earth, was the first time I have not had a visit from the benevolent bunny. When I was little my mom used to make easter bunny tracks across our front hall with baby powder. Those were the days...

I am halfway through roasting a chicken for tonight's joint-flat Easter dinner. The South Castle Street ladeez are coming over and no doubt bringing something tasty. I hope the chicken is good; I opted to wing it with what I had sitting around instead of going to Tesco and getting proper ingredients. As ya do.

In the next post: my summer plans and the drama that has gone down in Fife. Pretty hilarious stuff. Promise. Happy Easter!